However you choose to celebrate the holidays, it is highly likely that there will be an abundance of food available. This often includes sugary treats and alcoholic beverages. Unfortunately, consuming excessive amounts of these items can have negative effects on our skin, such as dehydration, skin stress, sleep and inflammation.
As you are partying it up, it is perfectly fine to indulge during the holidays, as long as it is done in moderation. Here are some useful tips to help you enjoy the festivities without compromising your skin health:
1. Be mindful of the fact that what you eat will have an impact on your skin. Excessive sugar intake can lead to dryness, aging, breakouts and bloating. Therefore, it is important to be conscious of your sugar consumption and the frequency of your meals.
2. If you happen to overindulge, don't worry. You can always make a plan for the next party or gathering. Allow yourself to choose different food items and portion sizes next time. It is also important to consider what you drink, as it can also affect your skin and overall health.
3. Stay hydrated. Often, we neglect the importance of staying hydrated and opt for sugary foods, beverages, or alcohol instead. These choices tend to have a high number of empty calories. Drinking two glasses of water with lemon before and during the party, even if it's sparkling water, can do wonders for your skin and stomach.
4. Make physical activity a priority, even during the busy holiday season. Consider going for morning or evening walks or engaging in light exercises before the celebrations. Get your blood pumping! My husband, Tim and I had a beautiful walk last evening in the fog. I love the fog because not only is it mysterious to look at but it keeps the cold air off my skin and places tiny water droplets on it! Cold moisture anyone? Any type of exercising helps you maintain your health and well-being while still enjoying the festivities.
5. Plan ahead when it comes to food choices. Eating something healthy before attending parties can help prevent extreme hunger and reduce cravings. Opt for fruits and nuts to curb your food impulses. Additionally, decide in advance what you will eat and drink, and focus on healthier options.
Remember, taking care of ourselves is crucial, and even if we do happen to overindulge, there are always remedies available. At Face It we happen to know a few! Do an at-home facial with Face It products or schedule any facial with us.
Have a happy & hydrated holiday.
~Genelle, Emily & Katelyn.